Rental properties typically do not have a lot of space for you to work with and storage is frequently a challenge.
- The first step is doing a big inventory of your things before moving in. If you have an object or article of clothing that you have not used in over a year (and has no sentimental value attached to it) then donate it, give it away or sell it.
- Consider using the kitchen counters walls for storage by hanging a line of hooks close to the ceiling to organize pots and pans. You can also mount a magnetic strip to store for knives.
- Pay a visit to the Container Store or IKEA and make a small investment for attractive storage containers that can be displayed openly on shelving units.
- Add asymmetrical shelving along one wall to provide ample storage for books and home accents (as an added bonus, it will also be a design piece in itself).
- When choosing your furniture, try to find pieces that also have storage such as ottomans, side tables, coffee tables, trundle beds or benches.