So you found an apartmentÂ and now you want to make it feel more like a home without spending a fortune. We know thatÂ decorating can be a challenge when your options are limited by rental rules.
Make your windows a work of art.Â There are numerous ways to creatively dress up your windows without it costing a fortune.
- Before you begin, measure your windows (starting from where you will install the curtain rod). This will help you determine how much fabric you will need (consult with a local fabric store to help you determine how much fabric you will need for this project)
- Look for a basic medium-weight fabric such as cotton or a cotton-linen blend so it is easy to work with. Bright colors or patterns will give a refreshing contrast to the monotone white walls in your apartment.
- To make your ceilings seem taller, hang the curtains 6-10 inches above the window.
- Consult with a DYI website to get easy sewing tips on simple curtains. If you donâ€™t sew, you can always use an adhesive fabric tape.
- Hang your homemade curtains with inexpensive clip rings which can be purchased at most hardware stores or any Target or Walmart.
- If you want an even easier window treatment, you can of course purchase inexpensive pre-made curtains at most stores. Fabric shower-curtains are another option, and are easy to install. You can even make a window valance using a scarf or a tablecloth.
Decide on your color scheme and stick...Blending colors that contrast with white walls will make the space feel more open. Cool colors like green, turquoise, blue, and purple can make a room feel more spacious and elegant. Warm colors like orange, yellow, and red can make the space appear cozy and intimate.