Have you thought about your roommate situation?
Donâ€™t be so eager to find someone who seems nice or willing to share the costs that you neglect to find out important details about their personality, habits and lifestyle preferences. This can lead to a disaster!
Think about what is important and non-negotiable for you. It is far better to be upfront and honest about your expectations than feeling miserable about your living situation in a few months. Before signing any lease, get to know your potential roommate(s). We highly recommend setting up an interview and ask direct questions.
Here are some important details you will want to pay attention to:
1. Sleeping habits: early risers or night owl? Light sleeper or deep sleeper?
2. Typical work or school schedule? (Will it conflict with yours?)
3. How does this person describe their cleaning habits and expectations and does it match yours?
4. Any allergies? Examples: peanuts, perfume, milk, flowers, mold, smoke).
5. Lifestyle habits: Do they smoke, drink, listen to loud music, stay out late? Are you ok with that?
6. How would the candidate describe their decorating style (if they have one)? Does it match yours?
7. Social habits? Will there be friends over often? If so, will you get along with these friends? Is there a boyfriend or girlfriend in the picture?
8. How will you combine your belongings? Who will provide the living room furniture, pots, dishes, electronics, etc? Can you share these items?
9. Does the potential roommate have a job? What is their basic financial situation? Nobody wants to be stuck with unpaid utility bills or rent!
10. Can you rely on this person to be honest and be courteous to you and other potential roommates?
11. What is their maturity level on a scale to 1-10?
Answers to these questions should help provide you with a sense of whether or not this is the right fit for your lifestyle. Always go with your gut. If you get a weird feeling about a potential roommate, tell them politely that you donâ€™t think it would be a good match and move on.