The holiday break brings relaxation from the day-to-day demands of college life and for many, an opportunity to leave the area to enjoy time with family and friends. However, students are not the only ones who look forward to this time of year!
Here are some tips to keep your things safe while you’re away.
These simple and effective tips to protect your property can make the difference between coming home relaxed and ready to take on the new challenges of winter term and becoming a statistic for future students to learn from.
Lock doors and windows
Take valuables like small electronics with you
Cose your blinds and leave a radio or TV and a light on
THEFT FROM VEHICLE PREVENTION
Don’t leave ANYTHING in your vehicle
Lock all doors and windows
Park in well-lit areas
THEFT OF VEHICLE PREVENTION
Use a steering wheel locking device
Use a vehicle security system that disables the ignition
Not Leaving for the Break?
For those who will be in the area for winter break, help protector your neighbor’s stuff by reporting suspicious activity to the Eugene Police non-emergency number at 541-682-5111!
Be sure to click here to download our Winter Break Safety Tips!
Living in off campus neighborhoods can be an enriching experience for college students by giving you an opportunity to interact with a more diverse group of neighbors. In other words, not all of your neighbors will be college students. Some are retired professionals while others are families with small children.
Eugene is filled with vibrant neighborhoods that are accessible to students, and we can help you find a great place to rent in many of these areas. Click here to see a list of properties available now, or call our office at (541) 485-7776 and we’ll be happy to help.
Here’s some info about 2 popular neighborhoods close to the U of O campus where permanent residents and renters co-exist:
The West University Neighborhood (WUN)
Approximately 75% of West University’s residents are U of O students. This charming community has lots of new construction and complexes that are coming up. Some of the popular spots that you will enjoy in the neighborhood include the Glenwood restaurant, The Duck Store, Yogurt Extreme and Starbucks. The neighborhood encompasses the area west from Kincaid Street to Willamette Street, and north from East 19th Avenue to Franklin Boulevard.
The South University Neighborhood
The South University Neighborhood consists of 60% students while the other 40% are members of the university faculty, retired folks, university staff and families with small children. Students who live in this area have a much different experience here than in other traditional off campus neighborhoods and are expected to keep quieter and follow a more traditional schedule (no late night parties, etc). Some of the popular spots include Toms Market, Safeway, Eugene City bakery and Prince Puckers Ice Cream.
Don’t forget these quick tips to help you be a better neighbor:
1. Make sure you introduce yourself to the homeowners in the area. It’s simple, but you’d be surprised how often this step is neglected! Let your new neighbors know that you care about the neighborhood and you will plan to show them the respect they deserve. You can also exchange contacts and learn about them a bit.
2. Communicate. Ask for assistance when you need it and discuss your concerns with neighbors before they escalate.
3. Keep the noise down. You should try and keep your conversation or music that you are listening to low in your room. The neighbors have the right to call the police in case you are too noisy, you should respect them and their rights.
4. Park your cars in appropriate places. There are drive ways and parking places provided in the neighborhoods. In order to ensure you do not obstruct others, you should park your cars in those places.
5. In case of conflict you should seek help. You can contact UO conflict resolution centre at uodos.uoregon.edu or 541-346-3216 and crs.uoregon.edu, 541-346-0617.